Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bookanista Thursday: The Pull Of Gravity

Holy cow, how is it Thursday again already???  It snuck up on me, but I'm happy because this week I'm so excited to present Gae Polisner's debut, THE PULL OF GRAVITY.  It comes out soon--May 10th, to be exact, and I can't wait for word to spread about this awesome story.





From Goodreads:

While Nick Gardner’s family is falling apart, his best friend, Scooter, is dying from a freak disease. The Scoot’s final wish is that Nick and their quirky classmate, Jaycee Amato, deliver a prized first-edition copy of Of Mice and Men to the Scoot’s father. There’s just one problem: the Scoot’s father walked out years ago and hasn’t been heard from since. So, guided by Steinbeck’s life lessons, and with only the vaguest of plans, Nick and Jaycee set off to find him.
Characters you’ll want to become friends with and a narrative voice that sparkles with wit make this a truly original coming-of-age story.





My Thoughts:  

I love a great quest story.  If it can be told with wit and quirkiness and heart, that's even better.  In THE PULL OF GRAVITY, Gae Polisner accomplishes all those things, leaving the reader with a touching story of friendship that could easily be taught in the English classroom, alongside OF MICE AND MEN.

At the story's center is Scooter' last wish, and he's a character so tenderly written I'd have taken the trip myself if he asked me to.  And then we have Jaycee, who is the kind of girl I'd love to have as a friend--she's bold and honest, with a touch of rebelliousness.  But it's Nick who makes the story.  His anger at his dad, self-consciousness around Jaycee, and love for Scooter make him a very real, endearing character.  And for me, it's always about the characters.

I followed these characters through the ups and downs of their journey buoyed by the same hopes they embarked on it with.  There were surprises along the way, and setbacks, of course.  But all these things add up to those moments that bring travel companions closer and ensure they'll have a lasting bond over what they've made it through.

As a story, THE PULL OF GRAVITY is the same way.  It's one I won't soon forget because it touched me and made me hope and feel for its characters.  I can't wait for everyone to have the chance to read it!

In the meantime, check out what the other Bookanistas are up to this week:




6 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like one of those books you never forget, because the characters are so unforgettable. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to this book. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jessi, for the read and review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to have this book now. Thanks for a lovely review! XD



    *~` http://rockielove.blogspot.com `~*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rockie, I have to have you have it now! :D

    sweet dreams, all. <3

    ReplyDelete