Tuesday, May 29, 2012

GFCC Presents: Melissa Walker and UNBREAK MY HEART

The Girlfriends' Cyber Circuit is a web ring of YA authors which I've recently had the great honor to join. Check these posts for the latest releases!

Today I am so excited to be featuring Melissa Walker and her newest contemp, UNBREAK MY HEART!  I had the chance to meet Melissa in Texas a few months back, and she was amazing, just as I'm sure this book will be!

The year that broke her heart. The summer that healed it. A dual love story.Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life. Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now. Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart? Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the year that broke Clem’s heart and the summer that healed it, Unbreak My Heart is a wonderful dual love story that fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Susane Colasanti will flock to.

“A super cute love story! Melissa Walker will inspire readers to never stop believing in true love.” —SUSANE COLASANTI, author of When It Happens and Keep Holding On

“A raw, real, and ultimately heartwarming discovery of what it means to be a true friend. Walker gets it exactly right.” —JENNIFER ECHOLS, author of Love Story and The One That I Want



Melissa Walker is a writer who has worked as ELLEgirl Features Editor and Seventeen Prom Editor. All in the name of journalism, she has spent 24 hours with male models and attended an elite finishing school for girls in New Zealand, among other hardships.
She co-founded I Heart Daily with fellow ex-ELLEgirl Anne Ichikawa in 2009. It’s a daily newsletter about likable stuff.
Melissa lives in Brooklyn and has a BA in English from Vassar College. She would tell you her SAT scores too, but, you know, the math part was hard.

 She loves meeting teenagers, and is game to speak at your library or school about writing, books, fashion, magazines or pop culture (but, you know, in a smart way).


And now for a few hard-hitting questions...

1. Do you have a pre-game writing warm-up? Something you do before you write to help get you in the right frame of mind?
I love to have a large iced coffee with cream and sugar, so that it basically tastes like melted ice cream. With that by my side, I'm good to go.
2. Is there a time of day you like to write best?
In the morning. If I don't do it early, the day gets away from me, sacrificed to the gods of reality TV, snacking and twitter-feed-reading.
3. Where do you write most often? Do you have a picture you wouldn’t mind sharing of your writing space?
I write in various coffee shops all over Brooklyn these days. I'll attach a pic of one of my favorite windows in Manhattan, though, Housing Works!


4. What things do you always have on hand when writing?

Special pens, notepads, snacks…The above mentioned iced coffee and my laptop area all I need!


5. How do you stay focused when writing?

I don't. I find that if I look up, eavesdrop on a conversation, stare out a window, talk to someone next to me... that helps. What doesn't help is getting online and checking fb/twitter/email. I try to avoid that (unsuccessfully, usually).

6. What is your worst writing distraction/procrastination tool?

The internets. Totally. Sometimes I even go to a spot with no wifi to help me focus.

7. Describe your perfect writing day:

Coffee and a sit-down by 9:15am. Done writing 1000 words by 11am and ready to play with my 10-month-old daughter! (This very, very rarely happens... usually I'm plunking along until at least 2pm to get 1000 good words.)

Well congrats on your new release, Melissa!  UNBREAK MY HEART looks like the perfect summer read, and I can't wait to dive in!


For more about Melissa and her books, visit her website at www.melissawalker.com or follow her on Twitter here.

3 comments:

  1. really good information. I was impressed to read this article, go on to the web you, thank you very much Obat Pelangsing Yang Murah

    ReplyDelete
  2. really good information. I was impressed to read this article, go on to the web you, thank you very much Obat Pelangsing Yang Murah

    ReplyDelete