Tuesday, May 15, 2012

On the Road with YA Authors, featuring Katy Upperman!

 This month, IN HONOR is out in the world!It’s a story of a letter, a mistaken last request, and the road trip those things lead to.  I'm a fan of all things road trip related, and to celebrate, I’m hosting a Road Trip Interview Series featuring all of my favorite author friends! Stop by daily for dream cars, playlists, and tales from the road!

Today I'm so happy to have with me Katy Upperman, fellow Bookanista and YA author represented by Vickie Motter of Andrea Hurst Literary Management.  I met Katy on Twitter, where we bonded over our love of country music and Taylor Swift. 
So Katy, All road trips begin with a set of wheels. Close your eyes. Imagine your ideal road-trippin’ vehicle. What do you see?
I can't help but see a Jeep Wrangler. New. Red and shiny. With its top off, of course. Slightly impractical, perhaps, but can't you just feel the wind whipping through your hair?
Next up: travel companions. The right ones can make or break the whole thing. Who would you hit the road with? You can choose anyone—alive or dead, real or fictional. As many or few as you like.
Of course I'd choose my hubby. He's a blast and we've done MANY road trips together so I know his musical taste would be mostly awesome and, at the very least, tolerable. Also, I have a tendency to sleep a lot when on long car trips and he'd never give me a hard time about my car-induced narcolepsy. I'd take my four-year-old daughter too. She's delightful, if slightly high-maintenance.

It’s true that road trips are about the journey, but what’s your ideal destination?
We live in the Pacific Northwest, so I think it'd be fun to drive all the way down the west coast into Baja California. Once there, we'd obviously spend tons of time soaking up the sun on the beach.

Is your style more ‘map it out’ or ‘meandering route’?
I like meandering and exploring throughout the day, but I also like to have a scheduled hotel room and warm bed to sleep in each night.
What 5 songs are absolutely necessary on your perfect road trip playlist?
Oh my... Could not pick just five!

Alan Jackson's Drive, Sugarland's Already Gone, Brooks and Dunn's Red Dirt Road, Willie Nelson's On the Road Again, Tim McGraw's Something Like That, Kenny Chesney's Summertime, Jason Aldean's Big Green Tractor, Jo Dee Messina's Heads Carolina, Tails California, Brad Paisley's All I Wanted Was a Car, and The Highwaymen's Highwayman.

We all know that food consumed while on the road never counts against you. That being said, what are your favorite road snacks and/or eating establishments?
All terribly unhealthy, of course: Chili Cheese Fritos, Gummy Bears, Chunky Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Cheez-Its. And when we actually stop to eat, we always like to hit up the local Mexican restaurants and pizza joints. I like to gain *at least* ten pounds on my road trips. :)
Problems sometimes happen and inquiring minds want to know: Can you change a tire?
God no.
Best road trip memory:
My husband, daughter, and I spent ten days driving from Seattle to Phoenix. We hit up Portland, the Redwood forest, Disneyland, Seaworld, and the San Diego Zoo, among many other fantastic places. It was, in a word, AWESOME.
Worst road trip memory:
Thankfully, our road trips have been pleasant, for the most part. There was one trip that took place shortly after my husband and I were married where we hadn't scheduled hotel rooms ahead of time (we were trying that whole "meandering" thing on for size) and ended up in a very sketchy neighborhood outside San Francisco in a hotel that was ten shades of undesirable. Eek.

Eek is right!  Happy it turned out okay, and that you were able to stop by!  Thank you so much Katy!

 

4 comments:

  1. Great memories, great songlist, but terrible food (kidding!). Great interview, thanks ladies!
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this interview! And have to say that the convertible red jeep cherokee is definitely fun and adventurous! Me and hubby rented one in Hawaii and drove the road to Hana for one of our very first road trips - SO much fun although definitely a good idea to have plenty of gas and maybe not go off on those roads they warn you to avoid - definitely an unforgettable (if slightly heart-pounding) journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Thanks for sharing, Katy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. really good information. I was impressed to read this article, go on to the web you, thank you very much Obat Pelangsing Yang Murah

    ReplyDelete